#TheReadingQuest is a reading adventure based entirely on a video-game quest. In this challenge, we’ll be embarking on a journey to conquer our TBR pile through a series of stages. We’ll read new stories, gain experience, and level up a character of our choosing.
The quest will take place between Sunday 13th August to Sunday 10th September, 2017. The sign-ups will be open from now until Sunday 13th August.
A huge thank you and shoutout to CW of Read, Think, Ponder. She is the amazing artist behind all of the super really incredibly cute character illustration you’ll see here. You can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and her stunning blog!
The basic mechanics of the reading challenge is simple: it’s based on a bingo board (termed The Quest Board for our purposes), each square on the board represents a stage (or reading prompt) you must complete.
For this Quest, I’m going to be a Knight!
Look at how cute CW‘s art is ❤
As a Knight, this is my game plan:
Knights are warriors skilled in direct combat. On their quest, they are will fight their way through the First Across path. The stages within this path are inspired by action and weaponry.
Along with the separate Character Class quest levels (Purple Squares), the centre of the Quest Board is a conglomeration of Side Quests (Blue Squares)! Complete these challenges to earn extra points and bonus experience for your character.
The First Book of a Series
I Love Shusterman’s Unwind series, so I’m pretty excited about this book. I’ve had this on my TBR for a while, but haven’t had the time to read it yet. Until now 😛 This is the first book in the Arc of a Scythe series, which is about two people who are chosen to apprentice to a scythe in a world where humanity has conquered death.
A Book with a Verb in its Title
One of my ARC copies for this month 😛 This is a romance novel about Charlotte, who is struggling to find something better in life, and how her life changes when she meets Adam, a painter who seems to be in the same situation as she is.
A Book with a Weapon on its Cover
I’m going to have to admit that I totally added this to my TBR because of the cover. This is a Fantasy/Steampunk novel about war, magic, and Emily Marshwic as she marches to the front lines and joins the warfare, even as she doubts what she’s fighting for.
A Book with a Red Cover
Another YA Fantasy book I’ve had on my TBR for a while. This novel is about magic, romance, and adventure, as a young princess tries to reclaim her mother’s throne. I’ve heard mixed reviews about this one, so I’m curious to see if I’ll like it.
A Book that has a TV/Movie Adaptation
I know there is a Treasure Island movie, but I’m totally adding this because of Black Sails 😛 This is about Jim Hawkins, who finds himself owner of a map to Treasure Island, where a pirate treasure is buried.
- All characters will start off with 10 Experience Points (EXP), and each book (in any format: physical, eBook, or audiobook) they complete for the Quest Board will add another +10 EXP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give +5 EXP.
- The exception is for books written by marginalised authors. These books will earn your characters bonus EXP. For each book completed for the Quest, you will gain +20 EXP.
- Adventurers who complete their character’s quest before the challenge period will earn a +50 EXP. You will earn an additional +30 EXP for any additional character quest you complete after that.
- Because I am not interested in employing polynomials or convoluted equations for a reading challenge, I’m going to go ahead and say your character will level up with every +50 EXP. They all start at Level 1.
- All characters begin with 10 Health Points (HP). Every 10 pages you read during the Quest will give you +1HP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give you +1HP every 20 pages.
- Tweeting on #TheReadingQuest hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current reads, roleplay with your current character, book recommendations) will earn you +1HP each. You can have a maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions
- Photos of your #TheReadingQuest books or TBR pile will earn you 1HPeach. This contributes towards the maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
- We will catalogue the points at the end via a masterpost, and find out who The Quest Champion is! This requires all participants interested in the prizes to link up in the Masterpost at the conclusion of the Quest!